The World Health Organization (WHO) defines disability as “any restriction or impairment of the ability to perform an activity in the manner or within the range considered normal for human beings”.
Mostly when we hear this term we relate it to people who cannot walk, run, talk, hear or see, but the truth is that studies reveal that they go further than physical, cognitive and sensory characteristics. Today we discover emotional disabilities. Ana Simo, family and couples therapist, tells us that the term emerged in recent years based on the need for a concept to define, in the field of mental health, people who do not have the emotional capacity to connect and express their emotions. .
Emotional disability is called an inability that people may have to adequately express their emotions, hindering their social interaction. In addition, this new field of mental health is kept under investigation because its causes are unknown and it has had a controversial tendency about its acceptance or rejection.
As in any disability, different scenarios can be identified and we could conclude that all human beings at some point experience this condition. This condition is more likely to occur in men than in women, in short we can identify that emotional disability occurs when we do not have the ability or control to identify, know and manage our emotions. The term was officially coined in the year 2004 in the United States, this achievement was contemplated in the area of study of mental health and was manifested within the disabilities in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), then it was disclosed by the different regions of the world.
People who suffer from this condition usually manifest it during their early life period, specifically in school, and once the condition develops, it manages to last for the rest of their lives. This disability causes in people the impossibility of interpreting and expressing affective emotions, the causes that generate it are not linked to health or intellectual problems. Those affected are unable to build or maintain healthy interpersonal relationships with other people around them.
This disability generates variant states of mind in people in normal situations, evoking frustration and depression in them, generating irrational fears and personal conflicts with situations and people that do not merit it. There is a tendency to link it with a learning disorder since most of those affected are schoolchildren. After various investigations, hypotheses have been made about certain factors that are considered to activate this condition and influence its perpetuation over time, such as hereditary factors, brain problems, constant stress, family functioning, but really the main cause of the problem is not has been discovered.
In the United States, several studies have been carried out on the subject and the results showed that women are less likely to suffer from emotional disability, while men and, to a greater extent, African-Americans are more exposed to suffering from it due to the conditions of their lives. social environment.
We find among the most common symptoms: hyperactivity, poor attention level, aggressive or self-injurious behaviors, little or no interaction with others, fears, anxiety, immaturity, learning difficulties, phobias and a tendency to depression, not all of them appear at same time and are not observed under equal circumstances.
We give you some factors to determine if a person suffers from emotional disability:
- His biggest concern is the image. They worry excessively about their image, they have had to indoctrinate their empathy. Clothing, physical appearance, but they are also people who measure even the smallest movement or gesture.
- They are people who change houses, friends, surroundings. They never feel happy, nor full. Basically because what they pursue is empty of feelings and their goal is to feed only an image without a soul.
- They are very aggressive people, who contain their hatred and focus it, but they know perfectly well when to attack, usually in a cowardly way.
- They are people who have nothing profound to communicate, because they are empty on a spiritual level.
- They are pessimistic and negative people, they blame the world for their own miseries, they are incapable of self-criticism.
- They are people who do not learn from any vital experience, because they are never intimate with their interior.
- They are people who rarely show their emotions, basically because they lack them. At most they live periods of infatuation.
- They are people who reduce the love they can give, to material things. That is, they bequeath the same thing they have received. Nothing wrapped up in appearances.
- They are people whose motivations arise from hatred and resentment, from wanting to show what they are not. Therefore, they constantly feed each other more hate.
- They are unable to see the essence of human existence, the great little things in life.
- They are incapable of love. They are disabled in emotions.