Gabo was one of the most important Latin American writers, and it shows in his prose.
The name of Gabriel Garcia Marquez is widely known worldwide. We are talking about the author of such well-known works of literature as “One Hundred Years of Solitude” (his most famous work and considered one of the most important written in Spanish), “Love in the Time of Cholera” or “Chronicle of a Death Foretold” , great exponents of Latin American literature and of the literary movement known as magical realism, as well as one of the winners of the Nobel Prize for Literature.
Throughout his career, this author has reflected various realities and made various reflections on many vital aspects of our day to day. That is why in this article we are going to see a series of phrases by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
30 sentences by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
1. A man only has the right to look down on another when he has to help him up
Phrase that encourages not to underestimate or consider yourself above others.
2. I love you not for who you are but for who I am when I am with you
Love makes us see the world differently, it makes us improve as people and feel excited regardless of the characteristics of the person we love.
3. The worst way to miss someone is to sit next to them and know that you can never have them.
Phrase that expresses the deep pain suffered by someone whose love is not reciprocated and the longing for something that could never be
4. Remembering is easy for those who have memory. Forgetting is difficult for those who have a heart
Phrase in which the author reflects the difficulty of forgetting someone who has mattered to us.
5. Life is nothing but a continuous succession of opportunities to survive
Throughout our lives we will continually encounter difficulties and obstacles that we must face in order to survive.
6. The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting next to them and knowing that you can never have them
Phrase that expresses the deep pain suffered by someone whose love is not reciprocated and the longing for something that could never be.
7. In waiting, she had lost the strength of her thighs, the hardness of her breasts, the habit of tenderness, but she kept intact the madness of her heart
This phrase expresses that love has no age: no matter how many years pass and no matter how old we are, we will continue to fall in love.
8. There will always be people who hurt you so what you have to do is keep trusting and just be more careful who you trust twice
Being hurt doesn’t have to cause us to stop trusting the rest of the world. It should simply teach us to reflect more on whom we grant said trust.
9. A true friend is the one who takes you by the hand and touches your heart
Friendship is another of the concepts that the author values in his work as fundamental to our existence.
10. Demons should not be believed even when they tell the truth
Phrase that expresses the need for caution against the actions of those who seek to take advantage of one, even if they base their actions or words on truthful elements.
11. The prolonged captivity, the uncertainty of the world, the habit of obeying had dried up the seeds of rebellion in his heart
If we get used to not expressing what we feel or doing what we want, in the long run we will acquire a passive and conformist attitude that will not allow us to change things.
12. Offering friendship to those who seek love is giving bread to those who are dying of thirst
The one who loves cannot change his feelings from one day to the next. Offering him friendship can cause suffering.
13. No, not rich. I’m a poor man with money, which is not the same
It is often assumed that rich is the one with money. However, he is much happier and he feels really rich who has love, friendship, culture and feels loved and self-realized.
14. She begged God to grant her at least a moment so that he would not leave without knowing how much she had loved him beyond their doubts, and felt an irresistible urge to start life with him all over again from the beginning to tell each other everything that was left unsaid, and do right again whatever they had done wrong in the past. But he had to surrender to the intransigence of death
This fragment of one of his works expresses the need to say and do what we think, otherwise we may lose forever the opportunity to express it.
15. Death does not come with old age, but with oblivion
As much as our body withers and dies, we only truly die when we cease to be remembered.
16. The most important thing I learned to do after the age of forty was to say no when it means no
Although we must be flexible, it is also essential to know how to defend our own position and refuse to do what we do not want, in order to develop ourselves and be consistent with our own thoughts.
17. Happiness is not as they say, that it only lasts an instant and you don’t know that you had it until it’s over. The truth is that it lasts as long as love lasts. Because with love, even dying is good
The author expresses the importance that love gives it, a force that allows us to hope, be strong and live and even die happy.
18. Do not try so hard, the best things happen when you least expect them
Often, the things we want do not arise from an incessant, effortful and desperate search, but rather they appear suddenly in our lives if we are open to them.
19. There is no medicine that cures what does not cure happiness
Health is not only the absence of disease, but also well-being. Being happy makes us feel good and be able to endure with a positive point of view what life offers us.
20. No person deserves your tears and whoever deserves them will not make you cry
As much as we love someone, if they intentionally hurt us, they don’t deserve us and we shouldn’t allow them to make us suffer.
21. You can be only one person for the world, but for some person you are the world
Beautiful phrase that makes us think that we are all important to someone, no matter how much we are one more for the majority.
22. You can’t eat illusion -she said- You can’t eat it, but it feeds -replied the colonel.
Fragment of a conversation between two characters from “The colonel has no one to write to him”, in which the need to get excited and motivate us is discussed.
23. I will have plenty of time to rest when I die, but this eventuality is not yet in my projects
Phrase that expresses the value of hard work , effort and motivation when living.
24. Love becomes greater and nobler in calamity
It is in moments of pain and suffering that love becomes more important.
25. Personality change is a daily struggle in which one rebels against his own determination to change, and wants to continue being himself
This phrase by Gabriel Garcia Marquez reflects the idea that although it is possible to change one’s way of being, thinking and acting, it is not easy.
26. When a newborn squeezes his father’s finger for the first time with his little fist, he has him trapped forever
The writer reflects the deep meaning and value of the first contact between a father and his son.
27. Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened
Everything has a beginning and an end. Although it is normal to feel pain in the face of the latter when we are talking about something positive like love, we should be grateful that we were able to experience it.
28. Things have a life of their own. It’s all a matter of waking up the soul
Every little detail that we live, being that we know or even object with which we interact can have a great importance in our life and history if we want it that way.
29. Life is not the one you lived, but the one you remember and how you remember it to tell it
Our history is not what we live, but the synthesis that we make of our life and how we organize, remember and value it.
30. There is a time when all obstacles collapse, all conflicts move away, and things come to mind that had not dreamed, and then there is nothing better in life than writing
The author reflects how sometimes the inspiration to create arises suddenly.